There seems to be a growth spurt for podcasting.
I love the fact that the audio format has been on the upswing, even despite the explosion of screen-based communication options. Depending on who you ask, they will tell you video didn’t assassinate the radio star for various reasons. Such as
- Podcasts is immensely portable, and does is perfect for multi-tasking
- Podcasts capture the ‘authentic’ voice of the person or the moment being represented – no fake ‘DJ voice’ required
- Podcasts have in their DNA something akin to long-form journalism – deep dives into content, rather than skimming a topic
- Podcasts lend themselves to drama, even while being authentic. The nearest thing to the documentary.
- Podcasts don’t have to conform to anyone else’s pre-ordained media format. You don’t have to sound like National Public Radio. Or Dan York. Or the British Library