I am a computer and technology teacher at Salt River Elementary School in Scottsdale, Arizona. More about education here. Prior to that I was a communications strategist,consultant, business & technology writer, broadcaster and podcaster.
Why HoiPolloi? When I started blogging in May 2004, communication and media were being disrupted. I was convinced that the hoi polloi –Greek for that derisive term the masses–were going to rearrange our molecules, so to speak. Radical changes always arrive from those on the edges. (Think about it: Gutenberg was not a printer, but a goldsmith. He adapted a wine press to disrupt the publishing business, and change the knowledge industry!)
The ‘Report’ gives me a space to keep track of the media and marketing shifts being brought on by new technologies and tinkered by ‘people like us.’ Today the hoi polloi have more respectable titles –citizen journalists,smart mobs, tribes. They certainly tell better stories, and are more connected to their community. They speak up and talk back. They are noisy, funny, unpredictable.
HoiPolloi Report became a sand-box for much of my writing as a technology columnist for two magazines, and the hub of my experimentation with digital media. Here, I keep tabs on what goes on in four areas I am passionate about: Technology, Marketing, Media, Education. I write about Education here, if you are interested.
- International: Tech column for Communication World magazine
- Webinars: Passport To Digital Citizenship
- Workshop: Social Media for Journalists
- Workshop: ‘Think Digital, Act Analog’
- Workshop: Build Your ‘Social Media Resume’
- Past Contributor to ValleyPRBlog.com
- Past Contributor to Create Magazine
- Edited a book for Superbrands
Contributing Editor to LMD magazine
- Won a Maggie award for Technology Column
- Radio show co-host, Your Triple Bottom Line
- Blog Ranked in 2008 by Social Media Today
- Profiled on SocialMediaToday
BOOK: Published in 2013
Chat Republic: How Social Media Drives Us To Be Human 1.0 in a Web 2.0 World
Education, Integrated Marketing Communications, Digital Media, Content Creation, Citizen Journalism, PR, Social Media, Technology in Education, Networking, Search, Data Visualization, Interactive Advertising, Mobile Communications, Podcasting, Gamification, Radio, Content Curation, Diplomacy, Wikis, Robotics.